Menu

Is antifreeze poisonous?

Is ANTIFREEZE poisonous for my pet?

YES Anti-freeze is very poisonus for your pet!

Unfortunately both the smell and taste of anti-freeze is generally appealing to pets. Even in small doses the results can be fatal if ingested.

Many cars have some component of anti-freeze in their radiators and unbeknown to pet owners their animals may stop to lick or drink this sweet tasting liquid from a leak or a puddle of inadequately disposed-of fluid. The harmful ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, an extremely toxic chemical. Even the smallest amount of this liquid can be fatal to a cat or dog.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include a drunken appearance including staggering, lack of co-ordination, and apparent disorientation, vomiting and even seizures.

Take your poisoned animal to the vet as fast as possible. The faster the treatment the better the chances of recovery. 

 

 

A centre of veterinary excellence for North Canterbury.
 

24hr/7day emergency care available by phoning 03 313 7438